NCT Forestry (NCT)
NCT Forestry (NCT) is a timber co-operative catering to the marketing needs of private and independent timber growers and subscribes to the seven co-operative principles:
Voluntary and open membership
Democratic member control
Member economic participation
Autonomy and independence
Education, training and information
Co-operation among co-operatives
Concern for community
NCT is recognised as an international supplier of quality round wood timber, hardwood pulpwood chips and is the largest forestry marketing organisation in southern Africa.
As a co-operative, its members who share in profits, own NCT. Today membership stands at 1 600 shareholding members, representing a total area of over 300 000ha - 21% of afforested land in South Africa.
Area of operation
NCT’s core area of management and operation covers the province of KwaZulu-Natal. Demand for NCT’s service, however, has resulted in its sphere of influence extending to the Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and Swaziland.
SERVICES OFFERED TO MEMBERS
Develop and source new pulpwood and round wood timber markets (domestic and international) for members.
Manage plantations on behalf of landowners and NCT owned farms.
Negotiate the best road and rail contracts on behalf of members and stockpile round wood timber at strategically located depots.
Advise on best harvesting methods and the appointment of harvesting contractors.
Advise on best operating practices and the best species to plant dictated by site and market requirements.
Hardwood timber destined for pulpwood is NCT’s predominant product, sold into various wood chipping plants. In some instances, NCT also markets timber to local corporate pulp and paper markets.
NCT supplies timber into its two wholly-owned facilities in Richards Bay and Durban that export wood chips to Japan, China, Taiwan and India. The mills place a significant portion of South African timber resources in an excellent position to access overseas markets. This, in turn, contributes to better pricing and financial returns for the private South African timber grower.
NCT has limited access to international biofuel markets.
NCT offers its members the opportunity to trade their non-pulp round log timber into a host of financially secure non-pulp market options - saw timber, treated poles, mining timber, charcoal markets. Its network of registered non-pulp round log markets covers the three main timber-growing areas in South Africa: Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.
NCT has been Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) - certified as a group manager since 1999. 37% of timber marketed by NCT is sourced from FSC-certified plantations. The remaining 63% is obtained from sources that comply with the FSC controlled wood requirements. The complexity and costs of managing plantations under the FSC system precludes many smaller operations from achieving certification. To address this issue, NCT has been active in developing an alternate certification system, Sustainable African Forest Assurance Scheme (SAFAS). This scheme has been internationally endorsed by the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) and will be available to members soon.
NCT obtained ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation) certification in 2001 & holds ISO 9001:2015 certification for quality management systems at its head office.
Full Name of Company: NCT Forestry Co-Operative Limited
Nature of Business: Timber marketing
Services/Products: NCT Forestry is a marketing co-operative for private and independent timber growers
Date Established: 1949
BayFibre (Pty) Ltd
NCT Durban Wood Chips (Pty) Ltd
ShinCel (Pty) Ltd
Industry Quality Standards: ISO 9001: 2015 accreditation
To win and maintain the unreserved confidence and support of all its members, customers and employees.
To assist its members to achieve their full forestry potential and optimise financial results on a sustainable basis.
General Manager: Danny Knoesen
Physical Address: 37 McCarthy Drive, Montrose, Pietermaritzburg, 3201
Postal Address: P.O. Box 13363, Cascades, 3202
Tel: +27 (0)33 897 8500 Fax: +27 (0)33 897 8501