SmartXchange aims to support and promote Media, Information Communication Technology and electronics (MICTe) entrepreneurs in South Africa through incubating small businesses
Incubating Innovative Businesses
Based in the coastal city of Durban, with an anchor office in Port Shepstone, the Durban Technology Hub which trades as SmartXchange, is an innovation node and a dynamic business incubation centre. The centre was established to support and promote the region’s vision to be the technology hub of Africa.
SmartXchange aims to support and promote Media, Information Communication Technology and electronics (MICTe) entrepreneurs in South Africa through incubating small businesses. With fruitful partnerships, SmartXchange has continuously managed to deliver on its mandate of SMME development via the vast range of support services offered to SMMEs during the three-year incubation period.
SmartXchange is proud to have now established a Living Lab situated in KwaMashu. The Lab has been conceptualised as a makerspace for individuals from the PINK (Phoenix, Inanda, Kwamashu) precinct. The facility will provide the resources to develop solutions through technology in the labs and the process of incubation.
To be at the heart of a growing and innovative South African MICTe industry that has global impact.
To develop and support MICTe SMMEs through world class incubation, skills development and encourage innovation and collaboration in the MICTe sector.
• Develop and support quality BEE MICTe companies to create jobs and stimulate the economy.
• Build a pool of skilled MICTe workers through the incubated SMMEs.
• Extend the reach of SmartXchange’s impact in developing the MICTe industry in South Africa.
• Stimulate innovation among SMMEs in the incubator and in the wider MICTe industry.
• Provide excellent services to incubated SMMEs.
• Develop and sustain mutually beneficial relationships with strategic partners.
SMME Skills Development Support Services include:
• Overview of business growth cycle, monthly business health checks, sustainability reports and personalised assistance using the Growth Wheel tool
• Training related to the specific needs of businesses
• An SMME forum to build relationships and partnerships
• Sponsored Internet
• Assistance in creating structures relevant to specific stages of business growth
• Assistance in formulating required policies and procedures
• Sponsored marketing kit, inclusive of roll up banner, business cards, company website and promotional video
• Innovation grant funding to a maximum of R650 000.00
SmartXchange is funded by committed strategic partners, who offer both financial and strategic support. These partners include eThekwini Municipality, Ray Nkonyeni Municipality, the Small Enterprise Development Agency (SEDA), Technology Innovations Agency (TIA), MICT Seta as well as other key commercial partners.
• Winner of the 2019 Standard Bank KZN Top Business Award
• Declared as the Global winner at the 2019 International Telecoms Union (ITU)
• Winner of the 2018 SABIC Incubator of the Year
• Winner of the 2018 Ray Nkonyeni Mayoral Community Award
• Winner of the 2017 Standard Bank Elan Property KZN Top Business Award
• Winner of the 2016 FNB KZN Top Business Award
• Winner of the 2016 National Science and Technology Forum South32 Award
• Runner Up: 2016 SABIC Incubator of the Year Award
• Runner Up: 2015 Govtech ICT Service Delivery Award
• Winner of the 2015 eLan Property Group KZN Top Business Award
• Winner of the 2013 FNB KZN Top Business Award
• Winner of the 2013 Alec Rogoff B-BBEE Enterprise Development Award
• Winner of the prestigious 2006 Computer Society of South Africa (KZN Chapter) ICT Company of the Year Award
Full Name of Company: Durban Technology Hub t/a SmartXchange
Nature of Business: Financial and Business Services
Services: Incubation of small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) in Media Information Communication Technology and Electronics
Date Established: April 2004
Customer Base: Small, Medium, Micro Enterprises
No. of Employees: 12
Auditors / Accountants: Accensis
Bankers: Standard Bank
B-BBEE Status: Level 2
CEO: Jonathan Naidoo
Central Services Manager: Dr Rajesh Neerachand
SmartXchange Port Shepstone Incubator Manager:
Physical Address: 5 Walnut Road, SmartXchange Building, Durban 4001
Postal Address: P.O. Box 5225, Durban 4001
Tel: +27 (0)31 307 1988
Fax: +27 (0)31 307 1987
Physical Address: 54 Mitchell Drive, Port Shepstone 4240
Tel: +27 (0)39 682 0631