A Passion To Effect Real Change
The Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ) is a state-owned, legally registered, industrial development company situated in KwaZulu-Natal. Linked to the international deep-water port of Richard’s Bay and with prime rail and road access, this IDZ is indeed the portal to the world.
The KwaZulu-Natal government is the sole owner of the RBIDZ, reporting to the Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs (DEDTEA) through an accounting authority (Board) that is appointed by the MEC.
The RBIDZ is an organisation made up of real people, with a real dedication, and passion to effect real change in South Africa. This commitment and energy are apparent in all dealings with not only each other but with potential investors too. The company’s purpose summarised, ultimately guides the strategic direction of the organisation. The purpose of the RBIDZ is to:
• Attract local and foreign investors who will beneficiate South Africa’s raw materials
• Create production capacity
• Provide services
• Create employment and improve the skills base
This prime industrial business and trade hub is one of the country’s leading Special Economic Zones (SEZ). A SEZ aims to encourage international competitiveness through offering a number of benefits:
• The reduction in corporate tax from 28 to 15%
• World-class industrial land that support infrastructure for export-orientated production
• Dedicated in-house Customs Controlled Area (CCA) that supports services to expedite forwarding and clearing
• Duty-free on imports for production related raw materials including machinery and assets used in production with aim of exporting the finished products
• VAT exemptions under specific conditions for supplies procured in South Africa
The RBIDZ is an integral part of Government’s macroeconomic policy to develop South Africa’s manufacturing sector. This is done through encouraging investment in export orientated manufacturing industries, centred on beneficiation of the country’s natural resources and thereby creating opportunities for employment, and has already entered into agreements with locators who will bring billions of rand of investment to the Richards Bay area.
The RBIDZ strategy is to cluster smaller, downstream manufacturing businesses around existing major industries in the City, as well as attract small-medium industrial operations that will create employment and economic growth whilst broadening South Africa’s export products.
Richards Bay is the ideal location for light to medium, resource intensive industry and agro-processing projects. Being within the vicinity of one of the largest deep-water ports in Africa, it serves to boost economic activity and attract international investors.
The RBIDZ has earmarked land in Phase 1A on which the agro-processing infrastructure will be located. This is serviced land only two kilometres away from the Port of Richards Bay.
Specific services offered include:
• A dedicated warehouse for the export of valueadded products
• A manufacturing facility for various commodities
• A dedicated warehouse for processed products for export
• Logistics and strategic linkages with farmers
• Market intelligence to local producers
• Service to international investors
• Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) to Power Plant
Agro-processing activities at the RBIDZ comprise of two major categories:
1. Activities such as crop drying, shelling/threshing, cleaning, grading and packaging.
2. Increasing the nutritional or market value of a commodity and changing the physical form or appearance of the commodity. Examples include milling grain into flour, grinding groundnuts into peanut butter and pressing juice out of fruit.
The RBIDZ is seeking investors to set up Techno Parks in the Richards Bay Development Zone so that the existing and upcoming generations of South Africans can benefit from new ideas and technologies that may very well change the world. In addition, Techno Parks provide valuable insights and intellectual resources from which the other sectors such as renewable energy and marine industry situated in the RBIDZ can benefit immensely.
Metals Beneficiation Hub
A Metals Beneficiation Hub will offer tenants a serviced property located in a secure area with investment and operating incentives including a Customs Controlled Area (CCA) within a designated SEZ.
Expected hub locators include manufacturers and/or processors of:
• Aluminium conductors
• Aluminium extrusions for construction material, automobile industries, casings, industrial manufacturers
• Aluminium castings for the automobile sector, marine engine parts and structures
• Aluminium foils for food packing and pharmaceutical wraps, cable wraps
• Aluminium powder and paste for explosives and paints
• Aluminium slug for producing aerosol cans
• Aluminium dross to recover aluminium metal
A metals beneficiation hub will offer tenants:
• Improved intra-inter department cooperation
• Support for technical upgrades
• Promotion of industry development by encouraging cluster/alliances/cooperation in the metals and aluminium pipelines
• Sub-sector data including export/import market information
Marine Industry Development and Renewable Energy There are exciting investment opportunities that lie within the marine industry and renewable energy sectors. Strategic research is currently being conducted and more information is available from the RBIDZ.
Full Company Name: Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone SOC Ltd (RBIDZ)
Industry Sector: Manufacturing
Date Established: 2002
To be the preferred special economic zone for quality investments, whilst delivering value to our stakeholders.
We utilise the competitive advantage of the Richards Bay area to attract sustainable investments that stimulate economic growth, job creation, beneficiation of resources and the empowerment of people.
Chairperson: Mel Clark
CEO: Thabane Zulu
Physical Address: RBIDZ Office Complex (Old Bayside), 4 Harbour Arterial, Alton, Richards Bay, 3900
Postal Address: Private Bag X1005, Richards Bay, 3900
Tel: +27 (0)35 797 2600
Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ)
This is a great place to add a tagline.
The Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ) is a state-owned, legally registered, industrial development company situated in KwaZulu-Natal. Linked to the international deep-water port of Richard’s Bay and with prime rail and road access, this IDZ is indeed the portal to the world