Updated: Jan 21, 2022
The #Summerishere and many are looking for the ultimate #kidfriendly location that provides sufficient outdoor activities and well-ventilated venues. Fortunately, the KZN South Coast is a one stop, #familyadventure holiday destination with its Blue Flag beaches and nature reserves home to a variety of exciting sites and activities.
1. Blue Flag Beaches - The KZN South Coast is home to the highest number of Blue Flag beaches in the province, including Hibberdene, Umzumbe, Southport, Ramsgate, Marina and Trafalgar beaches.
2. Golf Courses - Stretching from Umkomaas to the Wild Coast and inland to Harding, there are 11 quality golf courses found on the ‘Golf Coast’. Among them are Selborne Park Golf Estate and the Wild Coast Sun Country Club which is one of the top 10 courses in the country.
3. Diving, Fishing and Ocean Safaris - Further offshore, there’s an entire world to be explored. Here visitors can find two Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) – Aliwal Shoal off Umkomaas and Protea Banks off Shelly Beach. These are considered two of the world’s top sites for scuba divers, free divers and snorkellers. For anglers, there’s ample opportunity for spearfishing, deep-sea fishing or rock-and-surf fishing. There are also numerous charter boats that take visitors out for a closeup ocean experience viewing dolphins and migrating whales.
4. Extreme Adventures Wild5Adventures in Oribi Gorge has the Wild Gorge Swing,the highest swing of its kind that drops visitors 55 storeys. There’s the 80-metre cable suspension bridge some 130 metres off the ground; epic white water rafting and ziplining across Oribi Gorge. Lake Eland Game Reserve is another exciting location for an African adventure.
5. Great Drives Out - These authentic rural excursions include the KwaXolo Caves Adventures, a mountainside hike along a cable-and-rung system to the caves adorned with ancient San artwork. The KwaNzimakwe Multi-Trails is a beautiful network from Mpenjati Nature Reserve and, just inland of Shelly Beach is the Nyandezulu Experience, a guided tour across the Ntantana Mountain. Local history can be learned at the Ntelezi Msani Heritage Centre, a facility that touches on African history, indigenous knowledge, culture and creative arts.
6. Biking, Running, Walking and 4x4 Trails - Some of the area’s top spots for outdoor adventure include Rocky Bay Resorts, Burry Stander Bike Park, 5. ANEW Resort Ingeli Forest, Beaver Creek Coffee Estate and Clearwater Trails.
7. Birding and Picnicking - The region is a renowned birding destination, home to a number of unique species to tick off the list. These can be spotted in TC Robertson Nature Reserve, Vernon Crookes Nature Reserve, Oribi Vulture Viewing Hide, Ventures by Sweetdale and Red Desert Nature Reserve – among others.
For the full list of KZN South Coast’s outdoor venues, activities and sites, download the free ‘Explore KZN South Coast’ app from Google Play and Apple stores, or visit: www.visitkznsouthcoast.co.za.