Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)
MSC has 493 offices in 155 countries with a team of 70 000, dedicated fleet of 560 container vessels with an intake capacity of circa 3.1 million TEU. We have a global sailing schedule covering 200 trade routes and calling at more than 500 ports
Growth Through Innovation
The Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) has an innovative, flexible and unique approach to shipping that has allowed the company to grow significantly over the last fifty years. Founded in 1970, MSC is now the biggest user of the South African ports and by 2003 was the second biggest container carrier in the world.
MSC has 493 offices in 155 countries with a team of 70 000, dedicated fleet of 560 container vessels with an intake capacity of circa 3.1 million TEU. We have a global sailing schedule covering 200 trade routes and calling at more than 500 ports.
MSC provides global coverage, linking South Africa directly with Europe, UK, USA, Asia, Middle East, India, Pakistan, Far East, Australia, New Zealand as well as the key ports of Africa’s West Coast, East Coast and the Indian Ocean Islands, South America, Madagascar and Mozambique. MSC’s dramatic growth over the past decade can be attributed to two things: the quality management system that aims at consistently improving upon service levels within the shipping community and MSC’s willingness to initiate change to meet the requirements of clients and principals.
South African Investments
MSC has significant investments in the South African property market, with instantly recognisable office buildings worth R265,967,000 in Durban, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Johannesburg and Pretoria. The Italian Village in Umhlanga Ridge was built to accommodate MSC’s overseas personnel and their families and comprises seven houses. Built in 1996, this complex is currently valued at R43 340,000.
MSC’s hugely successful technical division, which was expanded in 1998, operates a world class, full scale engine repair and maintenance facility, which is headed up by a team of highly trained Italian and South African technicians and has a staff complement of over one hundred members.
MSC has successfully diversified into the business of container depots, most of which have custom bond facilities. These are situated in Durban, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Coega, East London and Rosslyn, Pretoria. Rosslyn boasts its own rail siding as facilitating clients’ access to their manufacturing plants, is a particularly critical issue for the motoring industry.
From a socio-economic perspective MSC mainly contributes to charities such as the Domino Foundation, Reach for a Dream and the upliftment of the community of Umzimkhulu, which is one of the poorest and highest HIV rates in the country. MSC funds various schools and provides access to bursaries to its employees’ children.
It has also established a training academy to upskill, train (at its own expense) and provide employment to black South Africans in the fields of hospitality and maintenance and repair. This is a ten year project with an investment of R102,000,000.
Training Programmes/Skills Development
MSC offers several training and learnership programmes to employees across the organisation as well as to unemployed youth:
• International Trade
• Liner Trade
• Basic Legal Principles
• Supervisory Skills
• Manage Logistics Operations
• Communication Skills
• Grievance & Discipline
• Analysing & Solving Problems
• Conflict Management
• Health & Safety
• Customer Service
• Manage Personal Finance
• Telephone Etiquette
• CSI Courses
• Several online courses relating to business operations and compliance
• Learnership: International Trade
• Learnership: Freight Forwarding & Customs Compliance
• Learnership: Shipping
• FNB / KZN Top Business Portfolio Awards 2009 (Transport Category) as well as being nominated in the top three companies in 2010, 2011.
• Lloyds Loading List / Freightliner Shipping Line of the Year (1996, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011).
• PMR Golden Arrow Award - Best Shipping Company in Kwa-Zulu-Natal (1999, 2010).
• PMR Diamond Award 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 - Outstanding 1st overall.
• Best Shipping in KZN (1999, 2011)
• Shipping Company of The Year by Containerisation International 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011.
• Finalist in The KZN Top Business Awards 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019
• Winner of the prestigious KZN Exporter of The Year and Service Provider Category 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 - Sustainability Exporter of the year.
• Finalist in the prestigious KZN Exporter of The Year and Service Provider Category 2018
• Top 500 - South Africa’s best managed companies. Top 5 in the shipping sector 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
• Winner of The KZN Top Business Awards in Transport, Storage and Communication - 2016.
MSC attributes its success to the extremely close relationships that they have built with clients; a strategy they anticipate will move MSC into the number one position in the world in the future.
Full Name of Company: Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)
Nature of Business: Ships agents, logistics and depots
Subsidiaries: MSC Logistics, MSC Depots, Medtravel, MSC Printing, Potlako Global Logistics
Holding Company: MSC Geneva
Current Customer Base: 11 000 clients (South Africa)
Date Established: 1978
Vessels: In excess of 560 worldwide
International Presence: 493 offices in 155 countries
Industrial Standards: ISO 9001:2015
Turnover: In excess of R1.000-million per annum
Financial Year-End: 31st December
Use of South African Ports: 38%
No. of Employees: 1 300 nationally; 70 000 internationally
Bank: Nedbank, Durban
Accountants: Ernest & Young
Chief Executive Officer: Captain Salvatore Sarno
Managing Director: Rosario Sarno
National Commercial Director: Glenn Delve
Financial Director: Alan Mileham
Physical Address: MSC House, 54 Dr Langalibalele Dube Street, Durban, 4001
Postal Address: P.O. Box 10687, Marine Parade, 4056
Tel: +27 (0)31 360 7911 | Fax: +27 (0)31 332 9295/7
Johannesburg: Tel: +27 (0)11 263 400
Cape Town: Tel: +27 (0)21 405 2000
Port Elizabeth: Tel: +27 (0)41 505 4800
East London: Tel: +27 (0)43 702 8293
Pretoria: Tel: +27 (0)12 335 6980